Welcome to the Boise State Writing Center’s online consultation service. We understand that writing exists in multiple spaces and formats and are happy to offer online consultations in addition to our face-to-face meetings. The online service allows writers the option of receiving detailed feedback without the necessity of physically coming to campus.
Depending on what you’d like to work on, we offer three types of online assistance for your writing: Quick Question, Spotlight Review on a single area, and Full Review on multiple areas.
Online Consultation Policies
- This service is available for members of the Boise State community (students, faculty, staff).
- Writers may submit three pieces of writing per week, but only one piece of writing per day. Quick questions do not count towards this total.
- We accept writing of any length for both spotlight and full review. However, due to time constraints, consultants may not be able to read the entire piece of writing. If you are submitting over 10 pages, please be advised that the consultant might not have time to read beyond that. Another option is to submit one portion of your project at a time. Please let us know if you are only submitting a portion of your project.
- Rather than edit papers, we pinpoint patterns of errors and show you how to address them.
If you have any questions about the Writing Center’s online consultations, please email us at email@example.com.
Option 1: Quick Question
Do you have a quick question about writing? Examples of quick questions might be: How do I cite a journal article in APA? Does this word choice make sense, or is there a better word choice? Did I format this in-text citation correctly for MLA?
Policies: Use our quick question service and receive a response within one business day. If asking about citation, provide the citation style (i.e. APA, MLA, Chicago, etc). Note that we will help you learn to write accurate citations, but we do not format reference pages for students. Additionally, quick questions do not involve a draft of your writing. If you would like help in reference to your draft, see options below.
Option 2: Spotlight Review
Our spotlight review can provide focused feedback on a single part of your writing. In a spotlight review, a consultant will read a draft of your writing and respond to your question. This is a great option if you know exactly what you would like help with.
For example, a spotlight review might ask one of the following questions:
- Is my paper’s overall organization/structure effective?
- What can I do to strengthen the introduction?
- Is my thesis clear?
- Have I integrated my sources properly?
Policies: The consultant will provide specific feedback on only the area you request help with. The turnaround time on spotlight review is within three business days.
Option 3: Full Review
In a full review, a consultant will provide multiple suggestions for your writing. For example, they may look at clarification of thesis, organization, and citations. This is a great option if you have more than one area you would like help with and more time for revision or if are unsure of what you would like to revise.
Policies: A consultant will spend an hour reading your writing and providing detailed comments, usually focusing on 2-3 topics. The turnaround time on full review is within three business days.